"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Broken Road

Have you ever looked at the path of your road and felt like you really hadn't done enough? Do you ever feel regrets over things not done?

A few weeks ago I was at a conference and saw an interview with a young lady of about 23 who was talking about her missionary work in Africa. She spends her time there working with children and over the past four years, she has been called to adopt seven of them. It is really amazing all that she has accomplished!

But sometimes when I hear these things, I start comparing my accomplishments to those I am hearing or reading about. It can be very discouraging, but it is important to remember that we are products of our experiences. Those experiences prepare us to be the right instrument for God at the right time.

When I walk down this road of thought, I often think of the song, God Bless the Broken Road. Look at these lyrics to verse two.
I think about the years I spent just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true
While this is a song about finding love, I relate to this verse also in the sense of my life with God. There have been many times and years that I have just passed through. Many experiences, that if I had been more connected or faithful, I would not have experienced them, but the truth is that each of those moments shaped me and prepared me for the works that God has planned for me.

Let's not forget Paul. He came to his ministry late in life after being a persecutor of Christians. But Paul's life as Saul also made him a:
circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless. (Philippians 3: 5,6)
Because Paul was all of these things, he had the respect and authority to bring the message of Jesus to the gentiles, both the commoners and those of the upper class. He had the right to be in from of government officials to plead his case, which allowed him to also preach the gospel in their courts.

Each experience in your life, has and is preparing you for the work that God has planned for you. You can not live in shame of mistakes or lost opportunities, instead use them as moments of growth and understanding that make you uniquely suited to do or say what God has purposed you for.

The young lady I started by talking about was purposed to be a mother and raise many children at a young age, this was a piece of what God prepared her for. But think about where God is leading you....starting a literacy program...changing the way church looks and feels...starting an online ministry...reaching out to those who are hurting from abuse or alcoholism. The past was the preparation and trust that God has given you the right lessons to succeed in God's calling on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment