"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

1 Thessalonians 2 - Speaking to Please God

Look at verse 4, "For we speak as messengers approved by God to be entrusted with the Good News. Our purpose is to please God, not people. He alone examines the motives of our hearts." and lets examine that second part...

Imagine if you will, people speaking only to please God. Not to manipulate or please others, just to please God. What would that look like? Our words would need to reflect the fruit of the Spirit...they would be good, kind, loving, reflect patience and joy...and they would reflect truth and life. We would also not be speaking what someone wants to hear, but what they need to hear. I am trying to fully imagine what this would look like. Could you do this? For just an hour? I am not sure if I can...but I think I will try. Today I will try to monitor what I say and see if I can only speak to please God. That means no fear in speaking the truth, but speaking it in love.

I challenge you to try this too. I will get back to this at the end of the day and let you know how it goes. I would love to hear about your experience too.

As we try this challenge, I pray that God will guard our tongues and our thoughts and lead us to words of truth and love. I pray the Lord strengthen each one of us to put pleasing God ahead of pleasing humankind. Amen!

1 comment:

  1. Well as I look back at the day, I started out well, but must admit that as the day went on, I forgot to be conscious of my words and found myself involved in a conversation tearing someone down. but practice makes perfect and if I keep at it, with God's help, I can get better each day.

    ReplyDelete