"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Psalm 52 - Duality

As I read this psalm, I think I was thinking about duality within us and although the psalm doesn't describe the duality of one person, i saw it that way....

So do you ever find yourself filled with thoughts that belong to your sin nature. Thoughts that don't become acts because of the Christ in you...but you think them, feel them, and sometimes wish for them...but are stopped by your sense of right and wrong.

Maybe I am the only one who experiences such a thing...I hope so, but I doubt it.

I definitely find myself wrestling with desires that the duality in me struggles with. The desire to let myself go with abandon and pursue pleasures that could become very destructive but they run up against the wall of righteousness and my desire to live a long and healthy life.

It can be a difficult thing and a real struggle.

Look at these verses from the psalm:
 2 All day long you plot destruction.
      Your tongue cuts like a sharp razor;
      you’re an expert at telling lies.
 3 You love evil more than good
      and lies more than truth.
8 But I am like an olive tree, thriving in the house of God.
      I will always trust in God’s unfailing love.
 9 I will praise you forever, O God,
      for what you have done.
   I will trust in your good name
      in the presence of your faithful people.
In these two portions we can see both the evil plotting and  the strength of living in unity with God. While it wasn't describing just one person, I can't help but wonder. I think of David and his anger towards the people who persecuted him and his commitment not to return evil for evil, but I can only imagine that he must have been tempted. And then I remember how he got Bathsheeba. David certainly had a duality as well.

So how do you fight the duality in you? Is it a daily struggle or just an occasional battle?

No comments:

Post a Comment