"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Psalm 61 - Sacred Vows

This psalm splits into two parts, the first part where David is crying out to God for help and the second section where David speaks words of faith and praise while asking for blessing. It is verse 5, the first verse in the second section that caught my thoughts today.
For you have heard my vows, O God. You have given me an inheritance reserved for those who fear your name.
 What I notice first off is that David has made vows to God. Consider what it means that David has made vows to God. David has made a solemn promise to God. From reading other psalms and writings we can guess that this involves serving God, telling others about God, being committed to living a life that he believes God has laid out for him. This is not done lightly or something that David takes seriously. we can see from other writings that David is committed to obedience to God and in that obedience refuses to harm the anointed king Saul, in spite of Saul's attempts to kill him. He doesn't make this vow because God makes vows to him in return. He makes vows because David finds God worthy of his devotion, and worthy of making vows to. David values God.

What do you value to that level? To what or whom, would you make sacred vows and how far would you take them? I think Davids example calls us to consider these questions.

For some of us, vows with God make sense. When I was 13, God touched my life in a powerful way and saved me. While at the time, I believed that God saved me physically, with full understanding of the situation, I know God saved me spiritually. At the time, I was feeling the burdens of life and felt alone and without support and tried to take my life (in a naive way that would not have worked) God told me, "I love you and this is not what I want for you." That made all the difference and I vowed to God that I would never try to take my life again or allow those thoughts to have power over me. Besides the obvious result of being alive, I am secure emotionally knowing that I am loved, regardless of what people, or circumstances may try to communicate to me.

Additionally, I anticipate taking marriage vows, at the right time, with some one. He has shown he is worthy of sacred promises by who he is as a person and how we take care of each other. In him, I see God's love and feel safe and secure.

So again, ask yourself, What do you value to that level? To what or whom, would you make sacred vows and how far would you take them?

No comments:

Post a Comment