"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Psalm 62 - The Unshakable Cornerstone

Do you have an event in your life that you stand on and gives you perfect certainty about something. Possibly it is a moment in time that you stand on and makes you sure of some one's love for you. Possibly it is an moment in time that made your career path a certainty. Do you have an event in your spiritual life that is the cornerstone of your faith? Maybe it is something that leads you to know something as truth or maybe it is something that leads you to know something is not truth. (Take a few minutes and reflect on that).

As I read through Psalm 62, I couldn't help but notice a section that repeats itself:
Truly my soul finds rest in God;
    my salvation comes from him.
Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
    he is my fortress, I will never be shaken. 
 Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
    my hope comes from him.
Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
    he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
Right from the beginning, the author makes a statement, and then a few verses later affirms it, with the one difference of saying, "my salvation comes from him" in verse 1 and, "my hope comes from him" in verse 5. 

As I read these verses, it is clear that  God is the writer's fortress and the  writer holds a truth that can not be shaken; that God is the writer's rock and salvation. I wish I knew the story behind the writer coming to that truth and place.

It is a beautiful thing to know something absolutely and completely. For me, it helps to have that experience that I hold in my mind that is the cornerstone of that knowledge. For me, my faith cornerstone  is an experience that happened when I was 13. The circumstances are a story of their own, but I was in the house alone and I heard a distinct and audible voice. God said to me, "I love you and this is not what I want for you." This had a profound impact on me. First and foremost, it was the beginning of developing a faith that was my own, not the faith of my parents or of the church that I attended. Secondly, I knew that God existed, was active, and desired relationship with me. That was profound for me and changed everything. Now, I admit that I can not provide you with scientific evidence of my experience or of the existence of God, and I can't even begin to fully understand or attempt to describe all that God is, but I know that God loves me, God exists, and God wants relationship with me. I have other beliefs about God, but I also know they are based on experiences of mine as seen through the lens of my understanding and environment. I do not classify them as a part of my cornerstone which can not be shaken.

Today, I invite you to consider what is the cornerstone of your faith and where it comes from. Is it unshakable and it is something you own? Can you turn to it when doubts and confusion present themselves to you?

I would love to hear your story, if you care to share it and maybe in the sharing of our stories we will both be changed.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment