"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Ephesians 1 - Gratitude

On this Thanksgiving Day, of course what jumps out at me are the verses of gratitude...
3 All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ.
15 Ever since I first heard of your strong faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for God’s people everywhere, 16 I have not stopped thanking God for you. 
 One of the things I love about this is that it is God who receives thanks first. Paul takes the time to honor God for all the spiritual blessings. The focus is on that which really matters. Those things that come through the spirit. It is not fame and power or fortune that get first place, but spiritual gifts such as prophecy, faith, and other tongues. Paul recognizes what is truly important. Do you? When you sit down to eat Thanksgiving, what will be first on your list? I have to admit that people often fall at the top of my list. But this year, I am taking the time to thanks God in prayer, starting with all those spiritual gifts which are eternal.


Later in the chapter Paul gives thanks for people. Today, i also give thanks to so many people who have impacted my life. Some because of their spiritual guidance and example, so for acts of kindness, others for friendship and many for all of these. Can you think of people in your life that have blessed you with the gift of themselves...whether it was for a moment or it has been for a lifetime?

I think of family that has stood by me when life was challenging, friends who have given me the motivation to do what needs to be done and new friends that have inspired me!

Let today be the beginning of a life of gratitude and you will experience increased joy. Don't do it for the joy though, do it because you love and are grateful to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment