"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Numbers 28 - Living off Love

Think of a timer that you have received a special gift. Can you feel that goodness inside you, filling you up? As I was reading the beginning of this chapter, I couldn't help but be captured by the words, they are my food...but let's look at the whole section.

1 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Give these instructions to the people of Israel: The offerings you present as special gifts are a pleasing aroma to me; they are my food. See to it that they are brought at the appointed times and offered according to my instructions.
Maybe because my birthday is near and I have received special gifts that I keyed into the idea of special gifts being food, but the phrases triggered beautiful feelings and memories. I couldn't help but remember what it feels like to receive a gift that is a symbol of a person's love for me. When that happens, there is a fullness inside that feels warm and all encompassing. Other things fade away, and there are no needs. All is well and has been supplied.

I picture God feeling this way when God receives our special offerings. In this chapter, the offerings are animal sacrifices, but from studying, the whole of the Bible, we understand that it is the attitude of love and obediance that is the true offering that God desires.

So today, will you give your love to God for the Lord to live on? What will you offer? Will it be a heart of gratitude? Will it be a gift of service to another? Will it be words that bring healing to those around you?

Today, part of my offering is bringing lunch to some friends at work, to share my caring with them in the form of food made with love and given in God's honor. It also took the form of a prayer of gratitude this morning for all that has been put in my life and the reminder (through a sweet gift of a song from a friend) that God's grace is amazing and God has brought me on an incredible journey of love and grace far beyond what I deserve.

I would love to hear about your offering of love to the Lord today. Feel free to comment and share with me or send me an email, that we all might encourage one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment