"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Numbers 11 - Complaints

So I bet each one of us can think of someone who is always whining and complaining. Even when things are good, they have something to complain about. They are such a drag and we tend to find them quite annoying, right?

Moses also had to contend with whiners:

5 “We remember the fish we used to eat for free in Egypt. And we had all the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions, and garlic we wanted. 6 But now our appetites are gone. All we ever see is this manna!”

10 Moses heard all the families standing in the doorways of their tents whining, and the Lord became extremely angry. Moses was also very aggravated. 

The good thing that came out of this situation is that Moses under God's direction called other leaders to help lead the people and therefore didn't have to share the burden alone.

But, I want to point out the result of the people's whining:

11 And Moses said to the Lord, “Why are you treating me, your servant, so harshly? Have mercy on me! What did I do to deserve the burden of all these people? 12 Did I give birth to them? Did I bring them into the world? Why did you tell me to carry them in my arms like a mother carries a nursing baby? How can I carry them to the land you swore to give their ancestors? 13 Where am I supposed to get meat for all these people? They keep whining to me, saying, ‘Give us meat to eat!’ 14 I can’t carry all these people by myself! The load is far too heavy! 15 If this is how you intend to treat me, just go ahead and kill me. Do me a favor and spare me this misery!”

Moses himself started whining. Isn't it interesting how whining begets whining. And if you think about it, haven't you yourself been dragged into one of those whining conversation with the person who you find so annoying...or maybe you start the whining your self.

The Bible tells us in several places to beware of our tongue for it can sin in what it says. We constantly need to think before we speak. And if we are not vigilant, that upbeat conversation can quickly turn around...or that conversation that we hear that is all complaining...next thing you know we are in the middle of it.

So how do you avoid complaining and whining? That is a great question and I wish I had the answer to it. It seems to often that we get fed up and blow off steam by letting the complaints out on a willing (or unwilling) ear. But I think that one way to help with this is to talk to God about what is bothering you. Share with God and let God take away your frustration. Another way to curtail it, is to develop an attitude of gratitude. If you focus on things that you are grateful for, the things which you have complaints about will seem less important and fade away.

Do you have some other strategies? Feel free to share them.

No comments:

Post a Comment