"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Numbers 8 - Making it a Heart Thing

This is an interesting chapter because it discussed the purifying of the Levites. One of the things that I am still trying to figure out is the removing of all hair.

7 Do this by sprinkling them with the water of purification, and have them shave their entire body and wash their clothing. Then they will be ceremonially clean.
I have a couple of theories but if anyone can shed some light on it, I would love to hear from you. I understand the use of water as a cleansing agent. When it comes to the hair, I have a few thoughts:
  • Hair is a vanity and removing it provides spiritual cleansing.
  • Hair would trap dirt on the body and prevent full cleansing with water
  • When a person developed leprosy, they would often get it around areas where hair grew and there would be white flaky skin. Removing all hair would prove that the person did not have leprosy.
But anyway, I guess the important part is the idea that the Levites were dedicated to God and that this was not a casual thing. Many of the rituals for cleansing and sacrifice are involved and take time. I believe this is to attach importance to it. Think about things we do quickly each day...they can easily become rote and habits that we don't think about. The importance of cleansing is not just a bodily cleansing, but also a spiritual cleansing. Making the ritual involved (hopefully) forces a person to think about it and not just address the outside, but also the heart. God wants a pure heart more than anything else.

Looking forward in history, we hear God explain that it is not the sacrifices but a clean heart that God desires and we see Jesus criticize the priests for  following ritual but not understanding and adhering to its true purpose.

So think about your spiritual activities each day. Do say grace before a meal for instance? Has that become a quick, "Thanks God for the food" that has no meaning or does it hold all the gratitude that you have for the provision for the day?

I must admit that lately that has been harder for me. I am living temporarily with my cousin's family (who i love dearly) and they are not Christians. They will wait for me to say grace if all I say is, "Thanks God for the food! Amen." I have to consciously make that meaningful for me, however brief it is. Now we don't eat all meals together so i also have opportunities to extend that and be deeper as well.

Consider your Christian rituals...are they of the heart or just of action? Do you need to make some changes?

No comments:

Post a Comment