"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Friday, October 7, 2011

Numbers 3 - Role of the Saved

So now we get into learning about the Levites' role. What I think is most notable is that the Levites are counted as exchange for the firstbord sons of Israel.

40 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Now count all the firstborn sons in Israel who are one month old or older, and make a list of their names. 41 The Levites must be reserved for me as substitutes for the firstborn sons of Israel; I am the Lord. And the Levites’ livestock must be reserved for me as substitutes for the firstborn livestock of the whole nation of Israel.”
 When the Lord killed all the firstborn sons of  Egypt and passed over the sons of Israel. The firstborn are only alive as a gift from God and God claims them, allowing the tribe of Levi to be a substitution.

This is the beginning of the idea of those whom God saves being God's.

So where do you fit into this? If you look at it from a very literal perspective, if you are not of the nation of Israel, then you don't fit into it at all. But I think that we need to see this from the more global perspective of being God's children.

For me, I can look at my life and see what God has done. In a spiritual sense, God has truly saved me. and having done so, can claim me as God's own. My sin causes me to deserve death, but Christ's sacrifice gives me life, but a life that belongs to God.

For me, I can also look at it from a different angle, from the perspective of having tried to commit suicide as a young teen and being saved through God's intervention. Without the whole story, i will say that God spoke to me in an audible voice that night and it made all the difference.

In my life God has saved me both spiritually and physically. and therefore my life and service belong to God. Now the real question is how am I doing in that arena? Unlike the Levites who are set apart for God in the physical location that they sleep and the duties they perform, all of which are very public, I am responsible for devoting myself on my own. Each of us knows how God has saved us and each of us knows that God has the right to our service, but when it is not set up publicly like it was for the Levites, we are on our own to do the duties and service God gives us. Of course what those duties are, are also not as cut and dried as it was for the Levites.

So how are you doing in acting the role of a redeemed child of God, purchased for God's service? I challenge you to really examine that today and figure out what adjustments you may need to make and make them. If you need some accountability, find a friend and share with them the changes you need to make and walk the journey together...after all God did make us to be in community.

No comments:

Post a Comment