"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Friday, June 24, 2011

Esther 2 - Taking Advice

Is anyone out there independent like me? When you get into a new situation do you like to figure it out on your own or get the advice of others?

Years ago, when I started teaching, I was assigned a mentor, but I wanted to figure things out on my own and prove that I could do it without help. In the end, I did figure things out but I lost out in learning many things from a master teacher. Yes, we had different styles, but if I had been able to take advice from her, I might have been twice the teacher I became. Pride and stubbornness can be downfall traits. Fortunately Esther did not share those with me. Esther very willingly took the advice of Mordecai (her uncle) and Hegai (the eunuch in charge of the harem). This won her favor in the harem and eventually the pairing of queen.

How many of us could learn a lot from Esther in this. To act in humility and receive the advice of others and follow it. God created us to be in relationship with others and with God. We were not created to be an island unto ourself. Next tome you find yourself in a new situation, take time to hear the advice of those with more knowledge and understanding and benefit from their experience. You will find that you can go farther will a little help from those around you and your pride will not hold you back.

No comments:

Post a Comment