"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Revelation 17 - Spiritual Prostitution

What is spiritual prostitution? Well prostitution is selling one's talents, abilities or name for an unworthy reason, with the word spiritual we can adjust that to mean selling the characteristics of your spirit for an unworthy reason. For instance, your holiness. God created us to be holy, but we often trade that in for short-term pleasure, money, power, or status. Sometimes in little ways and sometimes in big ones. For example, yesterday, I was sitting at work with nothing to do. Now I owe my employer my time when I am at work, but in my boredom, I spent about 20 minutes playing Word Warp on my iPod. Now this is a small thing, but it cuts away at my integrity, and I did it all for a little bit of diversion and fun. I certainly could have spent some more time looking up some of the different electrical supplies in the store so that I would better understand the products the company sells, but instead, I chose to give up some of my integrity, for a little bit of diversion.

Revelation 17 talks about the great prostitute and those around her that commit adultery with her. The people of the world with think nothing of this and will allow themselves to become involved with it as well. There will be a time, where prostitution (spiritual) will be abundant. In fact, it already is abundant, but Revelation speaks of a time in the future when other events are coming together as the scripture says. But this is a time for us to examine ourselves and see those areas where we are giving up the characteristics that God gave us for things that will only last in this world. Since we know that God is eternal and God desires for us to spend eternity together, shouldn't we be investing in that future.

My goal is to be better today than I was yesterday. To listen more to God today and consider building my holiness, integrity, and all the other traits that God sowed into me, so that I might be investing in an eternal future, not just for the moment in front of me.

God help me please! And help all those reading this who also desire to focus on eternity!

No comments:

Post a Comment