"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Philemon - Reconciliation at Jesus' Request

When I read this book, I imagine Jesus writing this to me as he returns someone to my life that has hurt or wronged me, but has changed. Asking me a favor, as if I didn't owe him everything. Giving me the chance to say no, but reminding me that I owe him so much that I couldn't possibly reasonably deny this small request, and willing to take on whatever the cost of the favor.

The problem is, that sometimes I (and maybe others) do say no. I can be so caught up in my hurt that I can't get past that to see that loving this person in Jesus name is a small request from the person who loves me in spite of myself.

If I really think about it, I have wronged many people in my life. But fortunately, God has never left me as that person. God grows me and molds me, showing me where I have gone astray and leads me back to paths of righteousness. So, I too am a changed person. Do I want others to see me as the person I was in the past? Of course not, I want them to see me as who I am now and who God is continually molding me to be. With that said, how can I possible not offer that outlook to others.

In some ways, I find it very easy. When I meet a new person who has a checkered past, I can easily look at their heart today and accept who they are and build our relationship around that. I can even do that with people I have casually known that did thin gs to hurt me in the past. Then why can't I easily do that with those who have been closest to me? Our shared love should result in a greater desire to reconcile with the new person God is creating them to be, but the hurt runs so much deeper.

I feel for Philemon, who was hurt by Onesimus when he ran away. Onesimus had been a part of Philemon's household for years. And, now we have Paul asking Philemon to forgive and treat Onesimus as a brother in Christ. No easy task. But as Paul points out, Philemon owes him everything, just as we owe Christ everything.

Is there someone that Jesus is putting in your life, saying look at how this person has changed. Forgive them and treat them as a brother/sister, because that person is loved by me and is my brother/sister? Consider all that Christ has done for you...while this may seem big in your heart, isn't it really a small thing that Jesus is asking you in light of what he has done for you? Say yes and let God work out the details and take away the hurts!

No comments:

Post a Comment