"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Monday, June 6, 2011

Revelation 9 - Desiring Life or Death

As you read this chapter, three plagues are described, the first being locust coming from the smoke of a star that falls to earth. As it describes the plague, verse 6 says, "In those days people will seek death but will not find it. They will long to die, but death will flee from them."

I see a lot of irony in this. If we look at society today, we see people who are trying to cling to life and youth. As people, we will go through a lot to preserve ourselves, even to the point of plastic surgery to preserve our looks. people tend to fear death and do whatever they can to avoid it. But the book of Revelation tells us that during the plagues, unsaved will seek death and not find it. There will be a complete attitude reversal. People will fear life (a life of pain) more than death. Today, many fear the unknown of death more than the known conditions of life, but then, they will fear the known conditions over the unknown. This leads me to believe that this will be a time of great suffering, probably beyond what many of us can imagine or have previously experienced.

As I think about this, I am grateful to be in relationship with God. Life may not always be easy, but it is better knowing that I don't face anything alone. God is present and working towards my good and God's glory. In knowing God and knowing that death will bring me face to face with God, I don't have to fear the unknown, because I love the one who created it and God is good. And I can live, knowing that I will not be faced with that level of suffering that Revelation talks about because authority to harm and destroy is only been given over those who are non-believers. Life will be difficult in that day, but life with God will always be better. Cling to the Lord and fear to not be in relationship with God. This will make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment