"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Revelation 10 - Properties of the Word

When you hear the word, how does it taste? Verse 10 reads, "So I took the small scroll from the hand of the angel, and I ate it! It was sweet in my mouth, but when I swallowed it, it turned sour in my stomach."

The word of God is sweet and as Christians in relationship with God, we desire and hunger for God's word. God's word tells us of the Lord's love for us. We read this in so many places in so many different ways. God is the lover of our soul, God love's us with a sacrificial love, God's love is deeper than the deepest ocean. What could be sweeter than words of love. I don't know about you, but I am always thrilled when someone reaches out to me in love and speaks words of love and encouragement.

But this verse also tells us that the word turned sour in John's stomach. This is also true of the word, particularly when we resist the message. God's word also points out our sin and disciplines us. If we are resistant to hearing this, it becomes a negative and sour experience.

So how can we avoid the bitterness of discipline? One way is to be open to hearing what God has to tell us. To receive that word from the Lord, recognizing God's amazing love for us and hearing it through that lens of love. I have a good friend who is an example of that in my life. This friend sometimes is criticized by people because her words are "rough" and they become offended by how she tells them something. She certainly is a straight shooter and I can always count on her to tell me something straight. It won't always be what I want to hear, but it is always truth. I also know that this friend loves me and I have complete trust in that love. When she tells me something, I never hear the "roughness" of her words, I always hear loving truth. I know she wouldn't tell me things I didn't want to hear if she didn't care. Her goal is to help me on the path that Godd has laid before me. How much greater is God's love for us!

The next time God has to discipline you, think about the Lord's incredible love for you and hear that discipline for what it is, a loving word of direction to help us stay on the path that is best for us.

God bless you all today!

No comments:

Post a Comment