"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Friday, June 3, 2011

Revelation 6 - White Horseman

This chapter is an example of why I was hesitant to blog on the book of Revelations. We see here four horsemen that come with the opening of the four seals. The first is the one I find most interesting...the white horseman. The other three are clearly bringing war, famine, and death, but this first horseman brings conquest. First, I note that he travels on a white horse, white being a color typically associated with good. But how could we have one good horseman and three bad horsemen? Therefore, we have to conclude that this horseman is also bringing bad things and is a deceiver. Who this horseman is and what he brings may look good, but will not be. From that perspective, we can then see that this horseman is a leader who will bring conquest to the world, that may appear to be for benefit, but will turn out to be for the destruction of all peoples.

So, what does this have to do with me today? What should I take away from this? That is a great question. I certainly spent some time wrestling with that this morning. The obvious is that we need to be forewarned as to what is coming and watchful, but I certainly always like to understand something more tangible, that I can really roll around in my mind. So what is it, you ask? Well...why do you think I am rambling on so...I am still trying to figure it out for myself.

Maybe we need to examine the idea of conquest and look at history to see the results of conquest. It certainly has brought on times of destruction and suffering. We really can't claim that we are at our best as a species when we are in conquest mode. I think of the crusades as a time when conquest appeared to be for good (spreading the gospel message), and yet it was fraught with evil intentions.

Possibly we are supposed to understand that we need to look at the heart, or the fruit of people/events/ideas around us. How often does the fruit look good, but when you bite into it, is has rot inside. Maybe we even need to examine ourselves and see if we are presenting a pure outside when in actuality, we have hidden sins that we are not dealing with. Maybe we need to determine if we, too, share traits with the first horseman and make changes within ourselves.

Maybe all these ideas are a stretch and we just need to focus on the warning and understanding of the future this passage provides. What do you think? I would certainly love to hear your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment