"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Monday, July 11, 2011

2 Corinthains 2 - Grief and Joy

As I read this chapter I was looking for answers, which I didn't find but instead found these verses, "For if I cause you grief, who will make me glad? Certainly not someone I have grieved. That is why I wrote to you as I did, so that when I do come, I won’t be grieved by the very ones who ought to give me the greatest joy. Surely you all know that my joy comes from your being joyful."

Paul is trying to avoid a situation where he has to correct the Corinthian church in person, knowing that he will cause them grief, thereby breaking his heart and making his visit unpleasant. He would rather write to them and give them the corrections and feedback to correct the situation before his visit so that they can enjoy a time of joy when he comes.

But what really got me about these verses is somewhat outside of what exactly Paul was saying. For if I cause you grief, who will make me glad? Have you ever been in a situation where you must cause some one grief and it breaks your heart? How do you do that? I walked into today's reading knowing that I have to make a choice that is likely to cause grief to someone. I was looking for answers as to dealing with the situation and I received a reminder that the grief I cause, will also be my grief. It is always a difficult situation when you must cause another grief, especially when that person is someone you care about and you know that how they feel will have a great impact on how you feel. We struggle to see someone we care about in pain.

So how do you deal with that kind of a situation? Well, Paul wrote a letter in hopes that the Corinthians would solve the issue before he came for a visit. Unfortunately, that will not work in this situation and my question of what to for was not answered by these verses, but I received a valuable reminder that I need to be careful. Maybe the answers will come as I continue to meditate on this chapter and other verses God brings to mind.

My call to you is to do what you can to maximize the joy of a healthy relationship with Christ in those around you. knowing that in their joy, you will find joy and in their grief, you will find grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment