"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Psalm 1 - A Focus on God

With all the situations going on with friends around me, I know I need to be in the Psalms, but I have to admit, I am scared of the commitment of  150 days, so I might not complete the book before choosing another one, but i need to be here for a little while, and here I will be.

So as I read Psalm 1, this passage speaks to me,
"But they delight in the law of the Lord,
      meditating on it day and night.
 They are like trees planted along the riverbank,
      bearing fruit each season.
   Their leaves never wither,
      and they prosper in all they do."

This past Sunday I was reminded that my focus needed to stay on God, I have wandered my focus and allowed me, and my social life to walk to take the front seat.I have been away from activities of ministry and service for  a while and needed to seek God's forgiveness. God is so awesome that my apology was quickly accepted and God returned grace abundantly to me, reminding me of God's love and acceptance. God reminded me that having my social life wasn't bad, it just can't replace God in my thoughts.

The key reminder is, as this psalm expresses is to be focused on God's direction. It is that focus that keeps me centered and keeps me in a life that God and I both feel good about. But also, I think about the word picture in this psalm of what it is like for those who focus on God's direction...trees along the banks of a river - trees that have their thirst quenched. They never want for a drink and moisture. And because of this they are able to bear fruit every season and prosper. This is so true for those who stay connected to God and the Word. There is always a reserve to draw from and if God is your focus that God's works will come naturally and you will prosper. Just remember that prosper means in God's design, not human design. Connection to God means blessings, not necessarily financial wealth.

Do you spend time with God each day? Are you focused on God's Word and direction for you? If like me, you need to refocus in that area, there is no better time than today to ask God for forgiveness and help to make the change. Join me in recommitting to God's service and making God the center of your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment