"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Friday, July 15, 2011

2 Corinthians 6 - Standards

In this chapter Paul is talking about the circumstances of his life and how they prove him a Christian. He talks about what he has been through for the gospel but also lists some character attitudes in verse 6. "We prove ourselves by our purity, our understanding, our patience, our kindness, by the Holy Spirit within us, and by our sincere love." I was looking at these qualities:
  • purity
  • understanding
  • patience
  • kindness
  • Holy Spirit within
  • sincere love
Paul used these as standards of proof and I think it is a good list. A list which I can see areas where I am doing well, and areas where i need work. When I think of Paul meeting these standards and going through all he did for the gospel, I know he is someone I would like to meet, although I think I would feel intimidated by him and his faithfulness. I would someday like to be a person that fully fulfills all these traits he has listed. But as I said to a freind last night, if we were perfect, we would be dead, so I guess it is OK that I am not quite there yet. How are you doing on the list? Can you identify areas of strength and weakness?

I am going to set a goal for purity...purity of thought...purity of motives. How about you? What area of this standard do you need to move closer to?

No comments:

Post a Comment