"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Psalm 3 - A Shield

Can you picture yourself surrounded by a shield? I am sure David had something different than I picture when he wrote this, but I picture a force field that stops everything coming at it. Nothing can get in from any side, above or below. Only, this shield isn't one that the enemy can breach with a strong enough weapon or it is weakens. This is the kind of shield that the enemy just tires itself attacking and has to give up. That is what I picture when I read, "But you, O Lord, are a shield around me;" (verse 3)

David certainly knew times when he was surrounded by enemies and he would fear to sleep because there was no one to protect him from them while he slept. But he had God as his shield and knew God would take care of him. David had a great amount of trust and faith. Regardless of the circumstances, David always turned to God and trusted. He might have spent moments in fear and worry, but turned to God. He is an amazing role model for this and I strive to have a heart like his each day. I would guess that there were days that David failed his faith and trust...and none of those psalms are in the Bible... so, when I have a day when my faith fails, I don't beat myself up. When I am smart, I turn back to the Bible to find my faith and trust and see verses like three that remind me where God is and who God is. God is more powerful and bigger than my enemies and God loves my deeply and compassionately.

Do you know that God is your shield? Do you know that God loves you and protects you? Maybe you have a different phrase that gives you a picture of God that helps you when your faith and trust are failing you. I would love to have you share it.

God bless you today!

No comments:

Post a Comment