"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Sunday, July 31, 2011

PSalm 6 - WHo God Is

Why should God do something for me? What can I do to earn God's actions? The answer is nothing. There is nothing I can do to earn or deserve God's goodness, blessings, love, saving, etc. Nothing. The only reason God does for me is because of who God is.

Many times in the psalms you will see the phrase, "...because of your unfailing love." (verse 4). In this case David is asking God to save him because of God's unfailing love. It is who God is that makes the difference, Not who we are.

When I think about this, I can also see it in terms of how God treats those around me. i can't judge some one unworthy of blessing, because the blessings God gives is about who God is, not the person. I am reminded of the question, why do good things happen to bad people. Again, blessings from God are about God's character, not a persons. Here on earth, we react to other people based on their character, power, charisma...whatever influences us. Our acts towards them are a mix of who they are and who we are, but we need to remember that God does not act that way. In fact, we wouldn't want God to act that way...or I should say, I certainly don't. Currently God acts out of perfect love and goodness. If we were to throw my character into the mix and have what I receive be based on that, what I would receive would certainly be less. My character could only damage the equation.

So why then, do we feel we can complain when we see others receive blessing? Particularly those we see as bad or evil or unfaithful. Do we think that God should deal with others differently than God deals with us? I think God laughs at that attitude, Either that or God would be somewhat annoyed at our inability to love and have compassion.

Yes, I think God is not always pleased with the actions and choices of people...but that is mine as well as the next persons. We may feel like we can point to some people and say that person is truly evil, but isn't sin, sin. Doesn't the Bible tell us the wages of sin is death. It doesn't specify certain sins or a level of sinning. All of us deserve death for our sin, so how can I not allow God (without any judgement from me) to deal with each person in the way God sees fit?


Today, I will chew on this a little bit, as seek forgiveness for my judgement of others. Have you ever questioned what someone else received? Maybe this is a good thought for you to meditate on as well. Join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment