"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Monday, July 25, 2011

2 Corinthians 13 - Words of Correction

As Paul closes this letter, he continues to prepare the Corinthian church for his visit. As I read this, one phrase steps forward..."I want to use the authority the Lord has given me to strengthen you, not to tear you down" verse 10b. I see where Paul is going and he wants to find that the church is acting righteously so that he can encourage them with teaching as opposed to use the word to correct them and point out their sin, but I must admit that I don't care for his phrasing...(although it probably plays out differently in the Greek). I don't think of criticizing someone with the Christian truth as tearing them down, because you are removing what is nothing and adding what is Christ, so I also see it as a way of building them up. The difference between what I am envisioning and what Paul is speaking about may be in the level of gentleness. From Paul words, I get the impression that he will be riding into town wielding the word of God, striking down all sin. I believe that we should always speak in truth and love. The truth must be spoken and correction given, but down in a gentle, loving way.

Maybe Paul would claim that there are times when gentle, loving correction would be ineffectual...maybe you would agree. But I am thinking more from the perspective of myself...in the end, I have to live with the words I spoke and if I choose a brash, tear 'em down approach with the truth, I think I would feel guilt over the choice of words (not the message). I actually was talking to a freind about this very thing over the weekend. He had been in a situation where he was having to point out some character flaws in one of his friends, He happened to end up doing it with harsh words. Now, I believe that he was speaking truth about the character flaws, but I completely understood his guilt and the words and tone he used. I had to acknowledge that hios words were harsh and could have been shared with greater gentleness and love, but that the message was true and ultimately, he had to forgive himself.

Consider your words today...when you have to speak words of correction, are they gentle and loving, or are they boldly cutting? Which words will you want to take ownership of tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment