"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Friday, July 29, 2011

Psalm 4 - Using the Times of Joy in Times of Discouragement

This particular Psalm is one that I clung to six/seven years ago when I was in a situation where someone was speaking out against me. I kept questioning how long was God going to allow this. For most of the following five years or so, I was left wondering when God would turn the situation around. So this psalm has had a great deal of meaning for me, but today I noticed verse 7, "You have given me greater joy than those who have abundant harvests of grain and new wine."

Last night I was out to dinner and shared a wonderful meal with drinks with friends. It was a wonderful experience and we  really enjoyed ourselves. This morning, I am reminded how much more joy I receive from the Lord. God is so good and has brought me such life impactful joy. The flavors of the good food and drink from last night will live in my memory for a short while. I will of course remember that I like the restaurant, but the specifics will be more short-lived. Now, on the other hand, the blessings that God has given me in the last few months with a new move and job, and new friends...that has changed me life and has lasting joy. Each day, I am reminded of God's goodness as I enjoy all of these things.

 It is this joy and these blessings that I can cling to in difficult times. I always file away those times of blessing so that I can remind myself and use them as a sword against Satan's lies when life is in a valley and Satan wants me to become discouraged.

Do you have blessings that you can cling to in the difficult times. Those experiences with God or blessings that you can point to when life is tough and say, I know God loves me, I know God is real, I know God is working on my behalf...

If you have never clung to those, today I urge you to make a list that you can use when life wants to tear you apart. Most of us have seasons when we cry out, how long, o Lord? So let us also have those things we can cling to that help us cry out, I trust you God.

No comments:

Post a Comment