"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Saturday, July 16, 2011

2 Corinthians 7 - The Hard Conversation

Have you ever had to tell someone something you know they didn't want to hear? Maybe you feared that person would be so mad at you that it would ruin your relationship. When I run in to these situations, I am always looking for the easiest way to do it. Maybe I will hold off as long as possible hoping that they will realize the problem on their own or that someone else will say something first. And if I have to tell them, I look for a time when they are in a better mood...or I write to them instead of telling them face-to-face. Yes, I am a person who avoids conflict. God has a sense of humor about it though, because God has forced me into situations where I have to stand up for myself or point out a wrongness to a situation or pay strong personal consequences...and I have gotten much better.

Paul was in this situation with the Corinthians. He shares with them in this chapter that he had feared to write and confront them, but he had to do it. He is expressing joy that the rebuke caused repentance and that the church in Corinth was not upset with him. I can imagine his relief, because I too have felt that when I have had to confront someone and later found out they weren't upset with me.

Like Paul, my motive is often to help someone, not hurt them with the hard words I have to share with them, but to help them. And this is appropriate. As we read, in the Bible, the word is good for correction and reproof. In spite of our uncomfortableness, we need to have those hard conversations when they impact someone's spiritual life. Don't fear and trust that God will take care of it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment