"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Psalm 18 - Persistence

David is writing this psalm to praise the Lord after his victory over Saul. Amidst the many praises that David puts forth, he reminds us of his persistence and faithfulness. Let's look at verses 20-27:
 20 The Lord rewarded me for doing right;
      he restored me because of my innocence.
 21 For I have kept the ways of the Lord;
      I have not turned from my God to follow evil.
 22 I have followed all his regulations;
      I have never abandoned his decrees.
 23 I am blameless before God;
      I have kept myself from sin.
 24 The Lord rewarded me for doing right.
      He has seen my innocence. 
25 To the faithful you show yourself faithful;
      to those with integrity you show integrity.
 26 To the pure you show yourself pure,
      but to the wicked you show yourself hostile.
 27 You rescue the humble,
      but you humiliate the proud.
David reminds us that God did not provide him with a quick victory and it is not because David was good for a day. David reminds us that God's help is from a lifetime of striving for righteousness.

This can actually be intimidating because we can start to compare ourselves to David and see the flaws in our righteous living. Of course you should keep in mind that not every detail of David's life is written of in the scriptures and the Word tells us that "Not one is righteous", so while David had patterns of righteous living, he was not perfect. He recognized his need for God, though and God counted that in his favor.

The point I want to make though, is that God's rescue is not instantaneous. God uses difficult circumstances to build our faith. God will let us learn to fall on God and build patience in the process of helping us. All circumstances lead us to growth if we are open to the lessons. Growing can hurt, but ultimately we are better people for it.

So, when things are rough, do you continue to trust and live a life that pleases God, or do you crumble into instantaneous please, and a life of sin? Next time, difficult circumstances come your way, use it as an opportunity to grow and build your faith and trust in the Lord. Live a life of persistence just as David modelled for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment