"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Psalm 8 - Chosen Special

I am reminded of a line from Leeanne Wolmac's song, "I Hope You Dance" as I read through this psalm. She sings, "I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean..." She is acknowledging that the ocean is so much bigger and we should recognize the majesty of God's creation.

David also sends that message when he asks, "What are mere mortals that you should think of them, human beings that you should care for them?" (verse 4). David uses the stars and the heavens as a point of comparison, but both of them are reminding us to recognize the greatness of God's creation and to see that we are not created biggest, more beautiful...etc. We are however created most loved. It is amazing that in all God made, we are chosen to be lifted up. We are given free will and we are given the opportunity to be in relationship with God.

And why are we so blessed? Just because God loves us and chose us. And God, who is majestic, amazing, and powerful, spends the time to care about each piece of God's creation. Quite an amazing thing, if you ask me. I only have to consider the number of people in my environment...the people that I see each day...and then realize that God knows the details of each of their lives to be amazed. Most days, I am luck to keep up with everything going on in the lives of just 3 or 4 people, let alone the thousands that I see each day or the billions that live on the earth.

So yes, I do still feel small when I stand beside the ocean and I am in awe at night when I see the work of God's fingers in the heavens. I must admit though, that there are times when I don't take the time to just look and think about that. Today would be a good day to take the time, Observe God's creation and think about all that God has accomplished. Take a moment and see how great God is and how special you must be to God that God knows you intimately.

No comments:

Post a Comment