"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Psalm 25 - Focus on God

Can you remember the last time you screwed up? Take a moment and think about what happened....where were your eyes looking? Were they on the pleasure of eating all those desserts....on the extra money that the cashier gave you in change...on the better reputation you would have if you didn't tell that it wasn't actually you that did that good deed? More important is where your eyes, weren't...on God.

Verse 15 reminds us where our focus needs to be, "My eyes are always on the Lord, for he rescues me from the traps of my enemies." It is amazing that when you focus on God, those other things seem less important. Those things which would open you up to your enemies, don't make sense.

Is your focus on God? I wish I could say, unequivocally, 100%, yes! But too many times I find myself thinking about my own pleasure, my own wants...me. God wants us to have joy...joy in knowing and being in relationship with God. God wants our needs to be met (notice that is needs, not wants)...in addition to the the needs of God's other children. God thinks your special and loves you and wants what is best for you. best for you in the eternal sense, not necessarily best for you in this moment.

So how do we focus our eyes more on God? Well, I am not sure the answer is the same for everyone, but here are some things that I use or have don't in the past:
  • Stay faithful to reading God's word every day! (this blog is a good accountability tool for me)
  • Have scheduled times of prayer (maybe at meals. This will give you those little refocusing reminders throughout the day.
  • Look for opportunities to share your relationship with God. If you are open to it, whether they come up or not, you will be holding some things in your mind to share and further meditating on them.
  • Have friends of faith who like to discuss spirituality.
  • Post scriptures in key places. I have used the bathroom mirror and next to the speedometer in my car.

Do you have some other suggestions? Post them and help us all grow!

God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment