"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Psalm 24 - What is Your Response to Jesus?

Did you ever have one of those moments when you are completely grateful for Jesus? Actually, I hope you have them daily...

But, as I was reading Psalm 24 and came to verses 4-6:
"4 Only those whose hands and hearts are pure,
      who do not worship idols
      and never tell lies.
 5 They will receive the Lord’s blessing
      and have a right relationship with God their savior.
 6 Such people may seek you
      and worship in your presence, O God of Jacob."
 
I again had one of those moments. Each time I am reminded that on my own merit, I have no right to God. I am a sinner who can never deserve or be good enough for God, I am grateful that Jesus sacrificed that I may take on his righteousness and holiness so that I may be acceptable to God.

I can't imagine living in a time where I believed that I had to be good enough on my own, and sacrificing animals to make up for my shortfalls. I think that would be truly discouraging as I realized that I couldn't keep my accounts clean. I have a great deal of respect for many of the Old Testament believers who seemed to understand more that what was known at the time. Many understood that God has a redeemer planned and would reconcile Israel to God. They understood that although they were alive before this ultimate redemption, they would be covered by it. I would like to think that I would fall in to this belief, but I guess I can never know, since I am alive after the sacrifice of Jesus.

It sometimes amazes me that there are people who have trouble acknowledging Jesus at all. I can see that some not believing all the details of his actions, but how can you ignore a man who had such great influence over the world. No one can deny that Jesus' impact is alive in the world today. Few things and people have had the widespread impact that Jesus has had...arguably none have had a s great an impact.

How can you ignore Jesus. I sure can't. Instead, I find myself constantly feeling gratitude toward him. How about you? what response do you have toward Jesus? Leave a comment and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment