"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Psalm 31 - When It Doesn't Connect

This morning I keep reading through this psalm. I really want something to jump out at me and speak to me but it just doesn't. I have things on my mind and I want the psalm to just bring me answers, but it doesn't. I just feel like I miss the mark on the ideas of this psalm.

For instance, the situation on my mind gives me grief and I am struggling with the sadness, but when I read verses 9 and 10, I know my grief is not to that extent:

"Have mercy on me, Lord, for I am in distress.
      Tears blur my eyes.
      My body and soul are withering away.
 I am dying from grief;
      my years are shortened by sadness.
   Sin has drained my strength;
      I am wasting away from within."

If it were to that extent, I would know just what to do. When I read verse 7:

"I will be glad and rejoice in your unfailing love,
      for you have seen my troubles,
      and you care about the anguish of my soul."

I feel like God isn't quite touching me in my troubles and I just don't see God's hand guiding me. It is just short of the mark. Each verse that I read, just misses the mark for me.

So what do you do when you read scripture and it misses the mark? Well, like this morning, I have read it over and over again. But the truth is that I just want to hear one thing from God and I am not going to hear it through this psalm. I just want an answer that won't come through this passage. Truthfully. it may not come at all at this time. So what do I do...I pray. Sometimes the Word doesn't quite hit the mark, but God's spirit can. Spending time pouring my exact situation and waiting on God for an answer in prayer allows the Spirit to speak. Possible I will be led to a different passage or possible the answer will appear in my heart. It may not come today or it may, but I can rest assured that God hears me and that God cares and that God will provide help and guidance. I may just have to wait,

No comments:

Post a Comment