"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Monday, August 22, 2011

Psalm 25 - Submission

Well, this will be a little bit of a tangent, but I will get back to Psalm 25 again tomorrow...

So as I read Psalm 25, the first verse is, "O, Lord, I give my life to you." I couldn't help but think of the discussion I got into last night and the role submission (or giving everything to God played into it....

So last night I went to an Episcopal church downtown and afterwards went out to have dinner with a few people. Somehow the conversation turned in a direction that one of the people made a comment about speaking in tongues and how that would be scary...and that she had never heard, seen, or participated in that in any way. This prompted me to quickly share the experience I had on my Tres Dias weekend when in the middle of group prayer a string of people broke out into tongues and I freaked out...but was led to a 10 years study to first better understand the spiritual gifts and then to desire them.

This was followed by a short conversation on what the experience was like to speak in tongues. One of the questions was why everyone isn't doing it. I explained that to receive that, it required submission to God and allowing God to use your tongue. But also reminded her that God does not force any gifts on us. Therefore, it we didn't desire to receive it, we wouldn't. I also differentiated between the speaking in other tongues that happened at Pentecost vs. the prayer language of speaking in tongues. All in all, it was a brief conversation but hopefully one that opened the door to a clearer understanding...and wherever God wants that to lead.

One of the things that I am reminded of is that it is importance to share our faith and our experiences with God because we all grow through that process. The other thing is that one small moment, one short conversation can make all the difference. So many years ago, that one prayer time started me on a journey that changed my understanding and the way I feel about spiritual gifts. Receive each moment God gives you and each experience, for you never know what hidden gem God might have in it for you...especially when someone is sharing God with you....and share God with others, for you never know when God is using that to help some one else grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment