"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Friday, September 2, 2011

Psalm 33 - Sing With Joy

"Sing a new song of praise to him;
      play skillfully on the harp, and sing with joy."

It is interesting to me that many people are self-conscious about singing. They either avoid singing or are so quiet that a person next to them who wasn't singing still wouldn't hear them. I know they are worried about those around them hearing them, but what about God? When I sing, it is something I can just do...or something I can put my whole heart into. But at look at verse 3 above and am reminded all God is looking for in our singing is joy.

Now a few weeks ago, I was struggling with a strep infection. The first weekend I was in church and sang my heart for the Lord...and it irritated my throat and the infection became more miserable. I don't think it was the singing that caused the worsening, just a coincidence, but it certainly agitated my throat. The second weekend, as hard as it was, I did not sing with my voice, but I did my best to sing with my heart.

Now maybe all those non -singers that I have trouble understanding are singing with their heart. Putting everything that is inside them into the song, but I have to admit that it was very difficult for me to do that and not sing with my voice. As the joy filled my heart, it needed a release, a way out.

I think this is the singing and praise that God is looking for. Not just the praise of a voice, but of one's whole self, directing love, and worship to God. Can that be done and let your voice be silent. I cannot say. It is not within my experience. But maybe you know and can enlighten me. I would love to understand, so if you a non voice singer and are able to give all your joy to God in song without your voice, I would love to hear from you. I believe that God created us each differently, but all of us to praise the Lord.

P.S. i will be camping this weekend with no WiFi, so I will probably not be blogging again until Tuesday morning. God bless you this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment