"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Psalm 36 - Speak Even When it Seems No One is Listening

As I read this psalm, I was remembering the song Your Love, Oh, Lord and as I watched and listened to it, I thought about the idea that God's greatness and praise would be sung of in the streets but would go unnoticed because sin is whispering in the hearts of those around and I had to wonder if David experienced that.

When I first read the psalm I noticed we started by describing wicked people and then it just changes to describe God's greatness. It seemed strange at first to me, but then when I considered that David was shouting of God's greatness to all around and he was ignored, I began to see a picture of why these would both be in the same psalm.

It made me think about times that I was trying to talk about and live the life God calls me to and have felt completely ignored by the world. Have you ever felt that?

I have to also believe that sometimes Jesus felt like that, that he was giving a message to the world and no one really heard. How disappointing and discouraging it must have been to have his own closest followers not understand the message he was giving.

The key is though, to keep giving the message. Jesus did that, in spite of lack of understanding of the people around him. David did that, in spite of people not necessarily hearing his message. We need do do that as well. Spreading God's message and talking about God's greatness is one of the weapons we bring to fight off sin in the world. I want to encourage you that when you feel like you are shouting out God's message and no one hears, don't give up or give in. God's love can penetrate through all barriers! As the psalm tells us in verses 5 & 6:

Your unfailing love, O Lord, is as vast as the heavens;
      your faithfulness reaches beyond the clouds.
Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains,
      your justice like the ocean depths.

No comments:

Post a Comment