"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Psalm 41 - Inspiration in the People Around You

This morning as I read the beginning of this psalm, all I could think about is a friend of mine. Let me share the verses first and then explain:

1 Oh, the joys of those who are kind to the poor!
      The Lord rescues them when they are in trouble.
 2 The Lord protects them
      and keeps them alive.
   He gives them prosperity in the land
      and rescues them from their enemies.
 3 The Lord nurses them when they are sick
      and restores them to health.

It was the first line that first brought this friend to mind. So many times I have seen this person share or do things to help those around him. He  is generous with his money and generous with his kindness. He sees each person as someone who is worthy of time. It is rare that after meeting someone new that he doesn't have wonderful things to say about the person. He notices their goodness and that stays with him. It is funny, because I think of myself as a positive person, but I realize that I have so far to go when I witness my friend and I am inspired.


I am reminded of many of my friends when I see his friends, which makes me feel good, but also at time makes me a little sad because I left most of those friends in CT when I moved. Not that the friendships are gone, but it is not the same when your friends aren't within hugging distance.

The other thing I notice about my friend is that he knows how to live life! He takes each experience and lives in the moment.

When I read that passage above, I couldn't help but think of how God uses people around us to protect, prosper, and heal us. In our goodness to others, God's goodness is reflected and when we pour out goodness, it returns to us. The Lord calls us to generosity of spirit with those around us and these verses and the thoughts of my friend inspire me to share that generosity of spirit.

Can you look around and find someone who exhibits that spirit? Whose gives of themselves? You will often find a person who receives much in return. Maybe it is you! But look around and see those around you who share a generosity to the poor and let them inspire you to new levels of giving of yourself to others!

No comments:

Post a Comment