"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Psalm 35 - Needing God

As I read this psalm, I find myself distracted by other things...

The psalm starts with David asking God to take his side against those who are against him and I find myself thinking about wanting God to take the side of those whom I care about who seem to be going through a variety of struggles. While David is trying to get justice for himself, I feel like I want God to help us to each share love and to feel the love of those around us.While David declares himself clean and worthy of God giving him victory, I find myself just seeing all my mistakes and asking God to help make them right, to heal the hurts I have caused and rebuild what I have torn down.

But I guess where David and I come together is in the begging. We both know that we need God; David to defeat his enemies and me to correct my mistakes. Of course recognizing your need for God is a good place to start.

So God, just as David needed you to bring him up from the pit of his enemies, I need you to bring me up from the pit of my own sins. Lord, I may not have a heart or live a life like David, but I want your help to have a heart like David and to live a life where I reflect your goodness to those around me. Lord, help me to think less of myself and think more of you and others. Help me to be sensitive to the pain going on around me and to be a healer rather than a causer of pain. And Lord, when it seems like I have lost, please help me to rebuild and find again.

Lord, you know where my heart is and my deepest desires. If they are wrong, then help me to bring them in line with your will, if they are right, then give me patience and strength for the journey until the timing is correct.

I will keep holding on to the hem of your robe, knowing that in my relationship with you is the only place I can find true joy and peace.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment