"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Psalm 49 - God's Wisdom For All

I love the way this psalm starts:

 1 Listen to this, all you people!
      Pay attention, everyone in the world!
 2 High and low,
      rich and poor—listen!

God's wisdom is for everyone. It is not for just the poor...the rich...the dispirited...the joyful...God's wisdom is for everyone!

And the bit of wisdom that this psalmist wants to pass on it for others to understand that the things of this world do not earn you a spot in the next. You can have money and fame and they will not get you anything in the next world. They can't go with you and will disappear. They mean nothing to God.

If these things are the focus of your life, then you will find out that you lose them. The focus of your life needs to be on serving God and living a righteous life. Fame and wealth may accompany that for you if it is in God's will, but it is not what will redeem you. Only God can redeem us. We can't earn it, we can't buy it. It is God's gift, freely given.

I don't know about you...but I confess there are moments that I wish for fame and fortune. I start thinking about how great they would be, but fortunately, I then really think about it....would they really solve my problems. hey might solve some, but others would be created and I would be under much greater temptation. Would it really be good for my to have immediate needs met and risk my eternal soul? I think I should just stay on the path God has me on. i trust that God knows best and if I follow the Lord's plan, I will be able to manage whatever comes down the road.

How about you? Are their things you wish for that would lead to greater temptation?

No comments:

Post a Comment