"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Psalm 46 - Ready for Anything

No one wants trouble to befall them, but when they do, who will be there the moment the troubles start? As I looked at the first few verses of this psalm I couldn't help but notice that phrase "always ready to help":

1 God is our refuge and strength,
      always ready to help in times of trouble.
 2 So we will not fear when earthquakes come
      and the mountains crumble into the sea.
 3 Let the oceans roar and foam.
      Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge!

This is more than just being there, but implies an active role of standing there, prepared for whatever comes, with the right "weapons" to fight it. I started to think about the people closest to me. Several people I know would drop everything to come to my aid and even more would make themselves available as best they could, but would any of them have all the right things available to them in the moment that trouble came?

The truth ism we as humans cannot be ready for every contingency. often times things happen that we wouldn't expect or imagine. How can we be ready for that. Now just consider that it isn't just the things that you face that you should be ready for, but also those around you. Impossible! But not for God.

So if God is already ready when the storms hit, how come we don't always go to God first? Why do we tend to reach out to people around us....and when they aren't instantly there, on our side, feel hurt and discouraged? Why don't we go to the One who is ready and there already?

For me, it comes down to feeling the physical presence of someone...but the truth is, that when I open myself fully to God and cry out to God, I do feel the Lord's presence, so why don't I remember that? I tend to wait until I am desperate to go to God.

I wish I had a good answer. Maybe you do though and you want to share it...feel free to add your thoughts in a comment and bless us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment