"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Psalm 32 - Come Clean

Have you ever felt the weight of your sin? Sometimes we have this crazy idea that we can hide things from God. As if the one who created us and all that surrounds us would not be able to see what is in our hearts. When we do this, our sin weighs us down. Sometimes w can carry this weight and we just don't notice how incedibly heavy it is until we actually lay it down.

When I read verse 5 of this psalm:

"Finally, I confessed all my sins to you
      and stopped trying to hide my guilt.
   I said to myself, “I will confess my rebellion to the Lord.”
      And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone."

I was reminded of how beautiful this can be. Do you remember a time when after holding your sin, you came clean with God and felt God's forgiveness? Did you feel the lifting of the weight that you didn't even realize you were carrying? Like life was starting afresh all over again and you were able to dance because all that you are was lighter than a feather.

I think most of us have experienced this at one time or another. But why do we try to hide things from God? It seems crazy when you compare the feelings before and after you confess to the Lord. I think that somehow it just creeps up on us. At first it isn't so heavy and we consider the shame of what we have done and seek to avoid that...so we hide it. In the hiding of it, it grows and becomes that huge weight. We don't even realize how heavy it is until it is gone.

So what is the solution? Keep your accounts clean with God. Be honest with yourself and God. Everyday is a new day and I try to make confession a part of my daily prayer time one or more times a day.

How do you stay right with God? Or are you in need of dropping your burden of sin with the Lord and receiving God's forgiveness? Let your heart be light today and make sure that you have confessed all to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment