"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Psalm 40 -

What does God want from you? When I think of the Old Testament in the Bible, I can't help but remember the sacrifices that were made in the temples to cleanse the people. But then you run across a verse like this one:

6 You take no delight in sacrifices or offerings.
      Now that you have made me listen, I finally understand—
      you don’t require burnt offerings or sin offerings.

I am reminded that some people heard God's heart and understood that being clean before God was right and good but that what God truly wanted was our hearts, our undivided focus of attention and devotion. I think many people thought if they sacrificed and stayed clean with God that would be enough. They didn't realize that a heart without devotion couldn't really be clean.

But don't we fall into that trap today too? Don't we allow our devotion to be divided? Don't we let other thoughts get in the way of a clean heart for God?

Well, I know I certainly do. It is one of the reasons I try to come back to the scriptures each day, so that I can refocus my thoughts and my energies with God. I am grateful for God's patience with me and grace that this is a daily need and process. And I am grateful to those who help me along the journey!

What do you do to keep your focus on God?

No comments:

Post a Comment