"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Monday, September 12, 2011

Psalm 39 - Avoiding Sin

1 I said to myself, “I will watch what I do
      and not sin in what I say.
   I will hold my tongue
      when the ungodly are around me.”

How many times have you said something like this to yourself...right before you say or do something that you shouldn't? I wish I could say that I had never done it...but that would be untrue. So often we do what we don't want to and fail to do what we should.

This morning as I was meditating on this scripture, I help but think of a dinner I had with a couple of friends. I let myself say and act out of character and inappropriately, because I was upset about something that had happened earlier in the week.

It was a petty stupid little thing that I thought would have few consequences...and I was wrong. I am still thinking about it and regretting it...and paying the price.

Oh, God, I wish that I could say and live those words of verse one and not sin in front or my enemies and especially with my friends.

I guess I need to keep that verse handy and keep reminding myself to watch my tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment